Tips for stopping the growth of mold in water-damaged items

After a flood, you might be surprised to find out that the water had entered your basement and now everything is soaking wet and dirty. However, if you tend to clean it up by yourself, there are several factors that you could consider because you should act fast in order to prevent and fortunately, stop the rapid growth of the molds in water-damaged items. Molds can pose a serious threat to the health of your family if you don’t discard all items that had been infected with mildew and molds.

For those people who suffers from different allergies as well as asthma, you should call a professional if you can’t act quickly and don’t know what to do. However, if you wanted to do it by yourself, here are some tips that you should always keep in mind.

  • No matter how precious your item is to you, once it had been infected with molds and you’ve noticed the rapid growth of mildew visible on the surfaces of the water-damaged items, you should throw it away immediately. A good rule of the thumb is to throw away everything that had been under the water line.
  • All wood and furniture that had been upholstered should be eliminated because they are porous materials that could trap molds and it can be very hard to clean.
  • All materials that are made of metal, plastic and glass can be still cleaned and disinfected so better separate things that you need to throw away and those that you can still save.
  • Carpets that already contain mildews and molds should also be eliminated because even if you clean it, there is a big possibility that the molds will remain.
  • The floor should be cleaned as much as possible to avoid further infection of molds in the content of the basement.
  • When cleaning, make sure to open the windows wide to prove ventilation and do not forget to wear some protective gears for your eyes and some rubber gloves to protect yourself. If you notice that your basement or house is already filled with a heavy concentration of molds, you should wear a mask that is rated N-95.
  • In cleaning all areas, only use soap or detergent that is non-ammonia as well as all the water-damaged items that you could find inside.
  • If you don’t have a disinfectant, you can simply mix some bleach and water to make a solution and disinfect the area. However, do not plan on mixing the ammonia together with the bleach because the fumes can be intoxicating.
  • Always remember that it would take a couple of days in drying the whole place thoroughly so as much as possible, use some heating systems, electric fans, and dehumidifiers if you wanted to quicken up the phase of the drying
  • Make sure that you check all odors because molds are present almost everywhere and it could stay just behind the wall. Track all the sources of molds and make sure to clean it thoroughly.

For more Flood restoration tips feel free to visit Flood Emergency Services today.

X

Pin It on Pinterest

X